Moving out.

Well this was a good last week in Salinas. We had a lot of success for our last week and taught a lot of people. All four of the recent converts were in church on Sunday as well. They all come pretty consistently, but it always seems like there is one missing for one reason for another. Not this week, so that is nice to see. Two of them now have callings, all have home teachers and visiting teachers, and the ward is welcoming them wholeheartedly. It will be tough to leave all the people that I have been working with here, but I know that I am leaving them in incredibly capable hands.

Big news this week is that the HSBC (not sure what it stands for), who was bought out by capital one, facility here in Salinas is getting shut down. Aside from agriculture, it is the largest employer in Salinas with close to 900 employees. Many from our ward, including our Bishop and first counselor, worked there and are affected by the closures. It reminds me of all the Motorola uncertainty. There is a lot less industry here then there is in the Ft Lauderdale area though. It will be interesting to come back and visit the ward, it will probably look totally different.

Another big thing that happened this week was that I got called up to the new leader meeting. Next transfer, in my new area, I'll be a district leader. Pretty young to be a DL, but at least he didn't do anything crazy like make me a ZL or something. There are some very young Zone Leaders right now. I am excited for it. It will be a good experience to be able to start fresh in a new area, with a new district. The majority of places aren't as built up as this area is, so I'll probably be working really hard to get the area going. It's a new adventure.

Have a good week. Now I go to pack...

-Elder James Richards



Me and Thor! The greatest dog. 


Everyone that came from Salinas, up for Elder Miller's outgoing fireside.


Normal District Photo

Elder Carter, Myself, and Elder Howard. The missionaries from Delta 21 (my mtc district) in San Jose


The District grilling.